If I’m the executor of my late mother’s Will, can I change the locks on her house?

The house is in foreclosure. My sister feels that she can have my nephew and his girlfriend live there rent free until the bank takes the house. I want no body living there and there are no other assets.

Asked on April 2, 2017 under Estate Planning, Ohio


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

Until the foreclosure is completed and title to the house is legally transferred, it remains an asset of the estate. Accordingly, as executor you have the authority to make decisions about it, including who is or is not allowed to live there. Bottom line, you can change the locks. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.