If I worked for an employer out of NC , that give me job in FL, but now refuses to pay me. Which labor board should I contact ?? NC where the company is licensed? Or FL where the work was done? Or my home state TN

Worked for Plus1 Telecommunications out if New Hill
, NC. But done the work in Tampa FL. We were
under written contract with Plus1 to do
communications work for Frontier Communications.
It was storm recovery work from hurricane Ima. FL
was declared national disaster at the time and was
Fema was brought in. They didnt have the materials
to complete all the work. And there scrubbing hours
for downtime that was there fault. Not to mention
they sent us out to the jobs , just too see if we could
fix the cust service. In a lot of cases we did. But
there were some cases we did not. Due to
equipment or material we were not supplied. And
now there scrubbing hours off our time when we
actually worked those hours. Im not sure where to
start. Its a substantial amount of money owed. Or it
is too me . How can I fix this issue??

Asked on October 21, 2017 under Employment Labor Law, Tennessee


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

It is the department of labor or labor board in the state where the job was located or performed--that is, where you worked--that enforces the wage and labor laws, so in your example, it should be FL that handles this case.
If the dept. of labor is not helping you (or even responding), you recourse may be to sue the employer for the money. You would sue for "breach of contract," or for their violating the agreement (whether written or oral [unwritten]) according to which you agreed to work in exchange for pay. If you did your part (you worked), they are contractually obligated to do their part (pay you). The problem you would have is that your home state's courts do not have jurisdiction, or power, to hear the case, because the work did not occur there and the employer is not located there: the only connection your state has to the case is you, and that's not enough of a connection. You'd have to sue where the work was done or where the employer is headquartered.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.