If I were to sue a major telecommunications company because they’re trespassing on my land and have not obtained authorization to do so, who would be listed as the defendant and who would be served?

A major telecommunications company has two boxes plus under-base that are encroaching on my property. They’ve been contacted, conducted their own survey and admitted that indeed they are encroaching. They are not willing to rent the space from me, and instructed me it wasn’t in their policies to do that, even though they are trespassing.

Asked on March 30, 2017 under Real Estate Law, Texas


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

The defendant would be the telecommunications company.When the lawsuit is served, it should be given to someone who is in a position of authority at the company such as an executive.
If the telecommunications company has an agent for service of process in your state, that agent would be served.  If there is an agent for service of process, you would find that information by contacting the office of the Texas Secretary of State.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.