What to do if I was sexually harassed a work and my boss refuses to do anything?

The owner of my job (we are an individually owned hotel but sponsored by a big time name). The housekeeper at the hotel was grabbing on my breast and would not stop. I told my boss (the owner), she says that he was joking and did nothing wrong. She refused to take a complaint/statement and was blaming me and standing up for him. I believe because they are of same culture. My mother was working for her for like 3 years and she wants my mother to contact her. She harasses me everyday about it. I can’t make my mom call her.

Asked on November 11, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Ohio


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Sexual harassment at work is illegal. If harassed by a co-worker and the company does not promptly take appropriate action to investigate and correct the situation, the company can become liable for that co-worker's actions. You could contact the state department of labor or equal opportunity commission (which agency has resposibility differs by state) and file a complaint; they may take action on your behalf. Or you could retain your own attorney and bring a lawsuit. Since many lawyers will provide a free initial consultation to evaluate a case, you may wish to consult with an employment lawyer first, to consider your options. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.