If I was not married to my sons biological father, but his name is one the birth certificate, do I still need to file for paternity?

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Family Law, California


Cameron Norris, Esq. / Law Office of Gary W. Norris

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you should still file for paternity.  The birth certificate supports a claim of paternity, but does not have the same effect as a judgment of paternity.  In addition, the court can (at the same time or later) make orders with regard to child support, custody, and visitation. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.