If I was in a vehicle accident, can a collision center get a copy of my accident report without me knowing and go to my house and convince me to take my vehicle to their shop?

Asked on November 19, 2014 under Accident Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Any report by law enforcement is subject to the Texas Open Records Act.  However, most law enforcement agencies will redact any confidential or identifying information.  Some will also redact contact information-- but this will depend on the agency.  So... to answer your question, it is possible for a collision center to get a copy of your accident report... however, it is up to you to decide whether or not you want to take the vehicle to their shop.  Before you decide to accept or reject their offer, call the agency who would have been responsible for the distribution of your report.  If they tell you that they did not distribute your accident report, you need to let them know that somehow, someone with their agency did release the report.  Your second step is to do a basic background search through the BBB or some other online consumer feedback group to determine if this is someone you want to use.  If a company is using "abulence chasing" techniques to get clients, it usually raises some serious flags about their business dealings.  This does not mean that all are bad-- just be careful and check them out thoroughly before engaging in any business dealings with someone you don't know.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.