If I was fired in a way that was unfair and left me in a bind trying to find another job, what rights do I have?

I was fired from a job after only 2 weeks of employment. I was told I was being let go because I was not preforming at a level that was satisfactory and refusing to do tasks I was assigned. None of this is true. My boss had no proof of any of this and was going off the word of another employee. I was not given a chance to explain myself. My employer recruited me. I was not an average applicant.

Asked on September 21, 2011 under Employment Labor Law, Oklahoma


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Did you have an employment contract that prohibits this? Is there a union agreement that covers this situation? Is this action against existing company policy? Is some form of actionable discrimination a factor in your treatment?

Unless you can answer yes to at least one of the above, you are in an "at will" employment relationship. This means that your employer has a great deal of discretion in setting the terms and conditions of the workplace. This includes when and if to discharge an employee. In fact an employer in such a case can dismiss an employee for any reason or no reason at all, with or without notice.

While that may seem unfair, it is the law.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.