If I was driving a friends car and we had a accident should her insurance company pay me my lost wages?

I have a learners permit and I was driving a friends car with her in it and we had a accident. I broke my arm and am not able to return to work for a couple of months. Should her insurance company pay my lost wages?

Asked on July 19, 2012 under Accident Law, Oregon


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, her insurance does not have to pay your lost wages. Her PIP insurance would cover her and any other drivers listed on her policy, which presumably does not include you. Her liability coverage pays to people incurred due to her fault while driving, not injured due to their own fault.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.