If I was declared unruly as a minor, does that count as having a criminal record?

If so, are those records automatically sealed at the age of eighteen, or is there an appealing process? I am applying for a job with the government that requires a perfectly clean record, containing absolutely no criminal activity.

Asked on March 14, 2015 under Criminal Law, Tennessee


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

What exactly the charge was is important.  Your charge may not constitute "criminal activity" if it were something like running away from home. Understand that while it is true that these type of charges are sealed as a minor, they are not always sealed to the government or law enforecemet.  So it might be a good idea to list it anyway on the application and explain what happened.  Show it to your attorney and discuss it in detail.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.