If I was charged with unlawful possession and intoxication can I just pay my fines without going to court?

Asked on May 31, 2012 under Criminal Law, New Hampshire


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Unless the charges that you have written about are "infractions" as opposed to a "misdemeanor" you are required to appear in court and make a plea of guilty, not guilty or no contest. The problem is that from what you have written, there is a chance that if convicted you could be sentenced to jail time.

I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to represent you in the matter that you are writing about.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.