If I was charged with a drug violation in another state, can I have my case moved to the state in which I now live?

Asked on October 21, 2014 under Criminal Law, Florida


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

If the case is still pending before the courts then the answer is no.  Courts in your new state do not have the ability to decide the case (called jurisdiction).  If the case is over with and you have been sentenced to probation, community service etc., then you can possibly have that moved to the new state.  But the fact that you have moved without authority to leave the state in either scenario worries me.  Please seek legal help. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.