If I was 12 years old at the time of the injury, can I file a lawsuit now that I am 19 years old?

Do I have a solid case? I was ran over by a car 3 months before hurricane Katrina. We pursed legal action however due to the hurricane we lost connection to the lawyer.

Asked on July 13, 2012 under Personal Injury, Texas


Anthony Van Johnson / VANJOHNSON LAW FIRM, L.L.C.

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You indicted in your query that you were hit by a car three months before hurricane Katrina.  You also indicated that you pursued legal action but lost contact with your attorney.  In the State of Georgia, as well as, many other jurisdictions within the United States, there is a two (2) years statute of limitation which applies.  Within two years from the date of the accident, you must either settle your case or file a lawsuit.  If you were represented by an attorney, you should be able to obtian the contact information for that attorney by contacting the State Bar.  You should immediately contact your attorney and inquire about the status of your case.  If no lawsuit was filed within the two years, your may no longer be able to recover.  You should contact your attorney, or consult with a different attorney to investigate the status of your claim.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.