If I want to start a Website that connects property buyers to property sellers, do I need a real estate agent or broker license?

Asked on July 5, 2009 under Real Estate Law, Illinois


J.M.A., Member in Good Standing of the Connecticut Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 11 years ago | Contributor

I am a lawyer in CT and practice in this ara of the law.  If you are not collecting a commission based upon the sale of any property, then i think that you are ok. Most states have specific statutes governing this.  I suggest that you contact the consumer protection department and ask for someone that regulates real estate agents.  They can point you to the statute that says what constitutes activities for which a license is required.  Based on what you describe i would say that you should not be collecting commissions if you dont have a licens.  If you are simply providing opportunity for people to go on line and find out who is in the market, then that is probably ok.  But i would check with a lawyer in IL.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.