If I want to refinance our house to take my name off the mortgage and release my responsibility of the loan and my spouse force me to sign a quitclaim deed?

My spouse and I are having issues with how
we want to split things up. I dont mind letting
her keep the house but I want the house
refinanced and she wants me to sign a
quitclaim deed

Asked on November 30, 2018 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 1 year ago | Contributor

I strongly suggest that you seek advice from an attorney asap.  But to help guide you in your question, generally speaking, a bank will want a quitclaim deed to see the property in her name alone to refinance you off the mortgage.  A private lender may not care, depending on the amount of equity in the home.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.