If I violated my probation is it certain that I will be locked up or does it depend on the circumstances?

Also, will/can the judge make me do all the time I had on the shelf for a violation? Is it a possibility that my probation can be reinstated if I paid all my court fees and fines and this is my first violation in the last 2 years of the last month of my probation?

Asked on September 14, 2012 under Criminal Law, Ohio


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

The ultimate punishment for one convicted of violating his or her terms of probation depends upon the facts of each matter and the sentiment of the trier of fact with respect to the decision against you if the matter is tried. As such, I suggest that you consult with a criminal defense attorney to assist you in the matter that you have written about to assess the best way to try and resolve the charge against you.

It is possible that if you have been found to have violated your probation, the suspended sentence issued against you can be reinstated and you can be fined. In essence, your probation could be revoked and you can be jailed.


IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.