If I violated a corporation’s non-disclosure agreement and they sue me and take me to court, do I have to show up personally in the courtroom or can I have a lawyer show up in my stead?

Asked on July 27, 2015 under Business Law, California


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There may be a number of court appearances in the case.  Some of those you won't need to attend such as at-issue which is when the opposing attorneys appear and discuss what additional discovery is needed in the case and the length of time for completing that discovery.

If your case gets to the point of a trial, you should attend to testify on your behalf.  Most cases are settled before trial.

If your case goes to arbitration instead of a trial, you will need to be present.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.