If I’ve commited a crime under the age of 18, can I be charged as an adult 2 years later now that I’m 18?

Asked on January 25, 2013 under Uncategorized, California


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Potentially if you have yet to be charged with the crime that you have written about and the statute of limitations for such has not yet run, you could be charged with such. However, if the crime is not deemed a violent crime such as robbery, mayhem and the like, assuming charges are filed they would be as a minor but any conviction of such where there is jail time would require you to be incarcerated with adults.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.