If I’ve been invited to live somewhere and am not being charged rent, am I still considered a resident?

Can I just be thrown out? I was invited to live at someone’s house and I was told I would not have to pay rent. I’ve been living there now for a couple of months and have moved my possessions into my room; it has been established as my place of residence. If the owner decides he doesn’t want me to live there anymore, does he have to give me notice or do I have to simply leave that moment? Is there a reasonable amount of time I have to find a new place of residence?

Asked on July 18, 2010 under Real Estate Law, Ohio


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Yes, you can still be considered a resident of the state regardless of your paying rent or not paying rent.  If you have changes your address, registered your car, changed your license, taken out a library card - whatever - to establish yourself as living there then you are a resident.  But you are a guest and not a tenant.  Guests do not have the same rights as tenants when it comes time to part ways with the owner of the property.  If he or she doesn't want you there anymore then you become a trespasser.  He should give you notice but not everyone is nice.  Be cautious and scope out places that are easy to move in to temporarily just in case.  Like a "Y".  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.