If I turn myself for a warrant, what should I expect?

About 2 months ago I was fired from my job for theft of $400. I agreed to pay it back and the police was called on me. I wasn’t arrested. I was told I would receive a summons in the mail to appear in court. They used the address on my ID and not my actual address so it was sent to the wrong address. I recently found out I now have a warrant for my arrest. I know I have to turn myself in. But what should I expect? I didn’t miss the court case on purpose. I’m scared of going to jail.

Asked on July 30, 2012 under Criminal Law, Florida


Kevin Bessant / Law Office of Kevin Bessant & Associates

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You have two choices at this point. 1) Turn yourself in on the warrant in which you will be taken into custody and brought before the Judge to address the warrant. The Judge will set a bond. You can explain to the Judge why you missed your court date and ensure the Judge that you will return to all future court dates. The Judge will either grant you a personal recognizance bond, and you will be allowed to either plead guilty or set a trial date if you are not guilty. 2) Call the court and ask if they will allow you do a "walk-in" capias arraignment. This means that you can avoid turning yourself in, but you will actually go before the judge in hopes of getting the warrant set aside and obtaining a new court date. You may also want to consider retaining a criminal defense attorney to help you successfully resolve the warrant and the larceny/embezzlement criminal charge.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.