If I transfer the title of my home or my money into my daughter’s name solely as a way to bypass probate, would the home/money still be considered mine?

Would this be referred to as a gift inter vivos (lifetime gift) or could this be revoked?

Asked on February 15, 2013 under Estate Planning, Arizona


Victor Waid / Law Office of Victor Waid

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

Don't do what you are considering as you may regret that action someday. If you are looking to avoid probate, seek out an estate planning lawyer who can prepare a trust for you, a durable power of attorney, advance healthcare directive, and the transfer deed of the residence into the trust; you would remain owner of all of your property via the trust, which is revocable or amendable at any time. You cvould still name your daughter as a beneficary of the trust or whoever you desire.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.