If I took a out of stat job transfer in lieu of being laid off but hate my new job, can I ask my employeer to lay me off so I can collect unemployment?

Asked on June 30, 2012 under Employment Labor Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You can ask them, but they are not obligated to do so (and are not likely to do so, since it will impact their unemployment history and assessments). At the end of the day, you are deciding to leave a job because you hate it--that is a voluntary separation from employment, and your employer would be well within its rights to refuse to treat this as an involuntary transfer.

Conventional wisdom is that it's easier to find a new job while employed than not; your best bet may be  to aggressively look for a new job in order to get out of this situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.