If I take my ex-husband to small claims court for monies owed, can I charge interest and how much?

My ex-husband owes me money that was taken from me by the IRS, per our divorce decree which states monies owed are due upon receipt. He received this 8 months ago and still has not paid. I am in the process of taking him to small claims court and wanted to know if I can charge interest from that date and if so how much?

Asked on July 6, 2012 under Bankruptcy Law, North Carolina


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Rather than file in small claims court over an order issued by the court presumably per your marital dissolution agreement, you should simply file a petition in the dissolution action seeking the court to have your former spouse pay you what you say is owed.

By doing this, you do not have to file a whole new action and the judge hearing the case can simply review the orders previously made in the disslolution action.

You can ask for the principal owed plus accrued interest at the legal rate on a judgment in your state.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.