If I suspect my tenant of using illegal drugs and of letting people who aren’t on the lease live in my property, how should I go about getting her out?

My tenants have split up, leaving only the unstable woman living on my property. My lease says that if one person on the lease breaches, it counts as a breach for all tenants. Is this true? I suspect there are non leased persons living in the house, I suspect that there is illegal drug use, and I know for a fact that the tenant is trying to lease somewhere else right now, and the lease does not expire for another 8 months. What do I do to protect myself?

Asked on November 4, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you suspect that there is illegal drug use on the premises that you are leasing to your tenants as well as other violations you should consult with a landlord tenant attorney about the best way to try and remove the tenants if that is your desire.

One option is to consult with law enforcement about your concern and then give your tenants notice that you need to inspect the premises as part of your normal maintenance policy. Do the request in writing. Keep a copy for your use. Show up at the inspection with law enforcement and see what is uncovered.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.