If I supported my spouse so he could go back to school and he deserted me when he acquired a job, can I ask for reimbursement in the divorce?

I believe my spouse followed through with marriage because it was beneficial to him financially. He was able to go back to school because I supported him financially. We are currently separated and he has filed for divorce. He abandoned me the day after he confirmed employment at a new job after being chronically unemployed. I have full financial records of all expenses for the duration of our marriage (approx. 2.5 years until separation). Can I ask for reimbursement of his portion of expenses and under what pretenses?

Asked on July 12, 2012 under Family Law, Massachusetts


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

From what you have written with respect to the finances that you incurred in paying for your spouse's education and now he has filed for a martial dissolution, there is nothing under the laws of all states in this country preventing you from claiming reimbursement of monies that you incurred for his education as part of the marital settlement of assets and liabilities.

I suggest that you consult further with a family law attorney concerning the issues that you have written about and your desire to be reimbursed for his education. Possibly you can ask for a return of what the education brings him in the future post your dissolution.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.