If I sue a person for not returning my personal check, should I fill warrant-in-debt or warrant- in-detinue?

I also have another dispute with the same person. For that, I probable will fill the warrant in debt. Can I blend this two claims into one warrant-in-debt?

Asked on January 20, 2013 under Bankruptcy Law, Virginia


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

A warrant is debt is a claim for a specific sum of money while a warrant in detinue is a claim for specific property. If your claim is simply for the return of an item such as a check and not for money, then a warrant in detinue is to be filed. If money and property are both owed, then you must file a warrant in debt and a warrant in detinue (two separate filings) against the person who you have a dispute with.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.