If I slipped and fell due to a water puddle on the hallway floor at my apartment complex, can I sue?

It came from a leaky pipe. It had been reported earlier in the day by another tenant but nobody ever came to clean it up.

Asked on March 25, 2018 under Personal Injury, New York


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 2 years ago | Contributor

For a successful personal injury suit, there must be a harm that was suffered due to the negligence (or intentional act) of another. Unfortunately, you don't state what injuries, if any, that you suffered. Accordingly, whether or not their was negligence on your landlord's part, you may not be able to collect. If you did suffer an injury, then based on what you have written (the puddle was due to a leaky pipe that had been reported), the complex knew of the condition. Since it did nothing about it, then they did not follow a reasonable standard of care in not cleaning the up the puddle and repairing the pipe. Therefore, you look to have a viable claim if, as stated above, you were injured as result. If you were, then you should consult directly with a personal injury attorney in your area; a consultation of this type is typically free.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.