If I signed a rental lease but found problems with the house on move-in day, can I cancel the lease because I dont want to go thur the hassel of all the repairs?

I don’t want to go through the hassel of all the repairs. Wil I still get my deposit and security money back? And how many days so I have to do so?

Asked on September 19, 2012 under Real Estate Law, Florida


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If the house is in materially worse shape (that is, worse in a significant way) on move-in day than when you'd looked at it prior to signing the lease (assuming you did look at it), that might provide grounds to terminate the lease without penalty. Or if the house has conditions that make it not safe for residence or inhabitation, or not fit to be used as a residence (e.g. no hot water), that might let you terminate the lease if the landlord does not promptly, after notice, remedy the situation. Or if the landlord actively lied to you about the shape the house was in, or concealed major problems, that might allow you to terminate the lease.

But if there are problems that do not affect habitability, the landlord did not lie, and there has been no significant change in the shape the home is in between when you signed the lease and now, you would still be bound by the lease. Not wanting to go through the hassle of repairs is not grounds, by itself, to terminate a lease.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.