If I sign for an incorporation and my 50/50 partner decides to pursue the business on his own, does that make me liable for 50% of the fees going forward?

Who should pay for the incorporation? Who should pay for any other costs associated to starting that business from the get-go?

Asked on July 13, 2014 under Business Law, New York


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

Ok you need to speak with a lawyer about the incorporation as well as a partnership agreement.  These are terms that you need to agree to and feel comfortable with from the start.  You do not want to be left holding the bag.  You need to discuss client lists as well as trade secrets as well as non compete clauses in the agreement.  Anything that may apply. Do not get involved with something that is going to cause you monetary damage and grief.  Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.