If I sign documents and agree to trade in my vehicle for $300 to purchase another, can I keep my vehicle and give the dealer the $300 cash?

Asked on July 28, 2012 under General Practice, Indiana


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

No, you could not do this unless the contract or agreement of sale (under which you were doing this) specifically gave you this option. If the agreement did not, then if you do not trade in the vehicle, you will be in breach of contract and potentially liable (subject to being sued) by the dealer. The dealer would also be free to not go through with the transaction or sale.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.