If I sold a car and allowed the buyer to take the car but not the registration or any paperwork, what legal action can i take since he has not paid what was still owed?

Asked on January 6, 2013 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

You would sue him--having possession of the registration for a vehicle does not, by itself, allow you to repossess it without going through the courts. You would sue him for breach of contract (not paying the amount he agreed to pay) and possibly also for fraud (if he lied about his intention to pay). You  could seek monetary damages  (e.g. the money he should have paid you) or a court  order rescinding the sale (you return any amounts you received; he returns car). It's easier, by the way, to sue for money than for rescission, and you could--if the amount is underneath the court's limit--bring a lawsuit for money in small claims court, where you could act as your own attorney.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.