How can I get a domestic violence charge dropped?

If I retract my statement in a domestic strangulation case where I was never actually strangled is that enough to get the case dropped?

Asked on August 2, 2010 under Criminal Law, Minnesota


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Maybe.  Maybe not.  But I would be more fearful of your being charged with false reporting of a crime.  That can be a very dangerous thing for you.  Domestic violence is a very delicate matter and often those that are involved in violent relationships recant their testimony when the heat of the situation dissipates.  But the threat of violence never really goes away.  I urge you to seek help with your situation and to get some counseling about everything that is going on, both emotional and legal, before you decide to recant your story.  It may be a difficult road in the beginning but things will get better. Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.