If I request a formal accounting of an estate, are there extra costs involved and who pays those costs?

I have some issues with the inheritance tax filed. A POD is listed on the main part of the document rather than on Schedule G. The POD was a mutual fund IRA held by my mother who passed. The funds went directly to the beneficiaries and did not pass through the estate.

Asked on July 20, 2012 under Estate Planning, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Under the laws of all states in this country, a "payable upon death" account (POD) is not part of the assets of an estate and is not to be included in it.

As to the costs for an accounting, if the Will of the deceased is being probated, there will be an accounting submitted to the court and served upon all beneficiaries by the estate's attorney as a matter of course subject to court approval and any objection by a beneficiary. This would be your opportunity to make any objection that you may wish. Such costs for the accounting are part of the fee of the estate's attorney typically on a percentage basis based upon the size of the estate being probated.

I suggest that you may wish to consult further with a Wills and trust attorney as to any additional questions that you might have as to your matter.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.