If iI received a criminal possession of marijuana charge and it is my first offense, what will my punishment probably be?

Should I get a lawyer? Will I receive probation and will it be on my record?

Asked on September 21, 2012 under Criminal Law, New York


MD, Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

Your punishment could be fines and some jail time but you want to try to prevent it from being on your record. Contact a criminal defense attorney and see if alternative convictions are allowed or if there is aopportunity to dismiss the charges altogether.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.