If I receive a refund check from a canceled homeowner’s policy, can I keep the check or do I need to send it to my escrow account?

Can I keep it since I need it and at the moment have over $2000 in the account?

Asked on October 30, 2014 under Insurance Law, Texas


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 6 years ago | Contributor

You can cash any check that is in your name.  As far as whether you should send it to escrow or not--that is between you and your mortgage company.  If your agreement with them requires the forwarding of any cancelled policies, then you would need to do so... but most simply require you to keep sufficient funds on hand to pay your insurance at the end of the year.  If you do not have sufficient funds, then they will increase your monthly payment to offset for the insufficient funds in your escrow account. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.