If I own a trailer with another person and we seperate, how canI get my name removed from the title?

There is also back taxes on it.

Asked on December 11, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Pennsylvania


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

If you jointly own a trailer with another person and you no longer wish to continue owning it, I suggest that you contact the other owner to discuss your desire to end ownership in the trailer. If the other owner is fine with your intent, then both of you need to go down to the local department of motor vehicles where you fill out a transfer of title registration to the trailer.

You would then transfer all of your interests in the trailer to the other owner or some third party on a form filed with the local department of motor vehicles. Once this new form is registered there, you are no longer on title to the trailer.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.