if i move out prior to any legal separation or filing of divorce will that be considered abondonment?

i want to move out to get away from this toxic environment

Asked on June 21, 2017 under Family Law, California


M.D., Member, California and New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 3 years ago | Contributor

CA does not require reasonable cause, such as evidence of abandonment, when filing for a divorce. Instead, it uses “no-fault” principles in divorce proceedings which means that it’s unnecessary to prove to the court that a spouse has abandoned the other spouse. That having been said, leaving the marital residence can play a role in the court’s determination of custody but not in determining the property settlement.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.