If I move outprior to filingany legal paperworkfor a divorce, is this considered abandonment?

My wife has a disability.

Asked on July 15, 2010 under Family Law, Connecticut


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 10 years ago | Contributor

Grounds for divorce in Connecticut that fall in to the category that relate to your question would be "willful abandonment for one year" which includes, I believe, non-support as well.  

“The elements of a cause of action on the grounds of desertion are (1) cessation from cohabitation; (2) an intention on the part of the absenting party not to resume it; (3) the absence of the other party’s consent; and (4) absence of justification.”  Gannon v. Gannon, 130 Conn. 449, 450, 35 A.2d 204 (1943).

I would go and seek legal advice in your area before you go anywhere.  It is best to know what your options are and what ramifications your actions will result in.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.