If I miss my court date that has already been continued once and they issue a warrant, what happens next?

Can I have an attorney set up a new court date? What will happen to my case? I was charged with race on a highway/exhibition of speed.

Asked on September 17, 2012 under Criminal Law, Nebraska


B.H.F., Member, Texas State Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

What will happen will depend a great deal on the judge who is handling your case.  If you and your attorney get to the court as soon as possible and explain that you were not trying to dodge court, then many judges will simply reset your case without any penalities.  If you delay in letting the court know it was an accident, then some judges will issue a warrant for your arrest and require you to post a higher bond.  Your attorney probably has a feel for how your judge handles these situations.  Most judges will work with attorneys, but will still want to see the defendant in person... so be prepared to go appear with your attorney to fix the situation.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.