If I marry someone who owes back child support or has a possible open child support case against them, will my income and/or assets be affected?

Asked on November 1, 2015 under Family Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

Not directly: that person's child support obligations are not yours and do not transfer to a spouse.
Indirectly, there could be considerable impact:
1) Creditors can proceed against his/her share of joint assets (e.g. a joint bank account; jointl owned property);
2) If you look to make a large purchase, etc., like real estate or a vehicle, lenders will often check your spouse's credit as well as your own--poor credit, significant or open obligations, etc. on his/her part may impact your ability to make these large purchases or other transactions.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.