If I marry a man who is a Canadian citizen is he automatically sponsored?

Asked on July 15, 2015 under Immigration Law, Maryland


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

No, nothing is automatic.� If you marry a Canadian citizen, depending on where you get married and what your immigration status is, you will be able to petition for his permanent residence.� If you marry in the US while he is lawfully present in the US, you can file both applications at the same time.� If he is in Canada it will have to be through consular processing.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.