If I make a free website for a company and I pay for everything (hosting, domain, etc.), then take it down sometime later could they sue me?

Asked on July 12, 2015 under Business Law, California


SJZ, Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

There is some possibility of being sued. Even if you are not charging them for anything, if you are getting any economic value from them using your site, that might be sufficient "consideration" (exchange of value) to support a court finding that there is a contract. If there is written agreement, the court might then enforce the terms of that agreement, as to for how long you'd keep the site up, or the notice required before taking it down. Even if there is no written contract, if there was an oral agreement or you'd otherwise made oral promises that you would provide a certain amount of notice before taking it down or would not take it down without notice, a court might enforce that.

So if you have made any promises or representations, either in writing or orally, about not taking the site down, having it up for a certain periord or duration, or about the notice you'd provide before taking it down, it is possible that they could sue to enforce those representations.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.