If I’m under 24 and I get married am I still eligible to be covered by my mother’s health insurance?

I am 19 years old  and I’m considering getting married. I’m currently covered by my mother’s health insurance through her work and my potential spouse’s insurance isn’t as good. If I were to get married, would state law permit me to continue to be covered by my mother’s health insurance policy?

Asked on November 1, 2011 under Insurance Law, Michigan


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

Congratulations on your upcoming marriage!  Here is what the US Department of Health and Human Services Website says: 
"The Affordable Care Act requires plans and issuers that offer dependent coverage to make the coverage available until a child reaches the age of 26. Both married and unmarried children qualify for this coverage. This rule applies to all plans in the individual market and to new employer plans. It also applies to existing employer plans unless the adult child has another offer of employer-based coverage (such as through his or her job). Beginning in 2014, children up to age 26 can stay on their parent's employer plan even if they have another offer of coverage through an employer."
Now, I would double check with the terms and conditions under your Mom's policy too and call your state Department of Insurance to be sure.  Sometimes if there is "other isurance" available companies do funny things.  Good luck.



IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.