If I’m training my dog with a dog trainer and my dog bites them, am I responsible for their medical bills?

There was no written or verbal training agreement or liability form signed. This person traines group and one on one, bye email and on a cash bases?

Asked on August 21, 2013 under Personal Injury, Florida


S.L,. Member, California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 7 years ago | Contributor

As the owner of a dog, you are liable for the injury to the dog trainer bitten by your dog.

The dog trainer's personal injury claim will include the medical bills, pain and suffering (an amount in addition to the medical bills), and wage loss.  Compensation for the medical bills is straight reimbursement.  Compensation for pain and suffering is an amount in addition to the medical bills based on the medical reports which document the nature and extent of the injury.  Compensation for wage loss is straight reimbursement.

If the case is settled with the dog trainer, NO lawsuit is filed.  If the case is NOT settled with the dog trainer, the dog trainer could sue you for negligence (that degree of care that a reasonable dog owner would have exercised under the same or similar circumstances  to prevent foreseeable harm) if this is the dog's first incident of biting.  If the dog has a history of biting, you could be sued for strict liability which imposes liability whether or not due care was exercised.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.