If I’m a registered sex offender and want to live with my stepdad and his girlfriend whose name is on the lease, does the landlord need to be notified before I can go there?

They are going to rent to me. Is it mandatory that I inform him?

Asked on March 28, 2015 under Criminal Law, Maryland


Gregory Abbott / Consumer Law Northwest

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

This will depend upon the terms of your step-father's lease.  Most leases limit the number of days one can be a "guest" and if they stay longer than that, the person needs to be added to the lease or, at a minimum, obtain the landlord's permission.  If someone tries to live there without complying, the landlord normally can throw everybody out, not just the "guest". 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.