If I let my girlfriend move in with me, will the courts consider us married after a certain period of time?

Is it suggested to get a legal agreement declaring right to ownership of property; in case she tries to take my assets after a break up? In CO.

Asked on November 2, 2011 under Family Law, Colorado


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

I am assuming that you are asking this question because Colorado recognizes common law marriage, correct?  Although it is certainly a good idea to set things straight and in writing, as long as you and your girlfriend do not "hold yourselves out as married" by stating so fining taxes together, etc., then the assets that you came in to the relationship with will remain yours.  That would be true even if you decided that you wish to be married and as long as there is no intent for the asset to become marital property.  So seek some legal counsel if you feel that it is warranted.   Good luck to you.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.