If I legally change my name, do I have to sign a new Will and Power of Attorney that contains my new name?

Asked on September 10, 2011 under Estate Planning, New York


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you change your name, you technically do not need to signa new will or power of attorney referencing your new name but in order to prevent any future complications or delays as to the former name and the new name, it would be best to have a new will and power of attorney referencing your new name.

Better yet, rather than doing a whole new power of attorney and will, you could simply do an amendment to each of these documents simply stating that the document is an amendment to the prior and just state that your former name was such and your new name is what it is.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.