If I just moved into an apartment and the management company failed to get my signature on the lease, can I choose not to sign it?

We are now not sure we want to live here because they haven’t shown great ability to get repairs done before our move in or for reoccurring damage to the secure entrance to the building. We gave them our cashiers check for first months rent, but the agent didn’t get our signatures on the lease. We have the lease. They want it signed. They “say” they have a 30 day guarantee for “satisfaction” in living here.

Asked on September 7, 2011 under Real Estate Law, Colorado


FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

If you did not sign the written lease for the unit that you rented and the written lease is for more than a month-to-month lease, then in reality you have a month-to-month lease and can terminate the oral lease with your landlord by giving the required notice of termination of your lease. Most states require at least a thirty (30) day written notice by either the landlord or the tenant.

If there is a thirty (30) day satisfaction guarantee regarding the rented unit and you are not satsfied so far, you should consider ending the lease at this point through a written notice of termination. You are under no obligation to sign the lease that was presented to you.

Good luck.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.