If I hold a DACA status but I’m still 17, would I be able to file independently for permanent residency?

Asked on October 7, 2015 under Immigration Law, Hawaii


SB Member California Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 5 years ago | Contributor

You are not eligible for adjustment of status unless you have a basis for this, such as an approved petition from a qualifying relative.  Unless you do, there is no basis for you to get permanent resident status just because you have DACA.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.