If I hire someone to put up some cabinets for me but they don’t have workman’s compensation and they are injured on the job, am I responsible?

Asked on July 27, 2012 under Personal Injury, Kentucky


Leigh Anne Timiney / Timiney Law Firm

Answered 8 years ago | Contributor

It really depends upon the reason the accident happened.  Generally, you would not be responsible unless the injury occurred due to some negligence on your part or hazardous condition within your home.  If this is the case, your homeowners insurance could possibly help you with an injury claim.  If you are unsure, I would suggest contacting an attorney and seeking a consultation.  

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.