If I have legal custody of my child and we live overseas, how do I get the mother to pay child support that she refuses to pay?

I have legal custody of my child. I now live out of the country (military). Mother lives in the states (she legally gave up custody). Mother was receiving payment for an older son that remained with her but now is 20. She did not pay for my child that lives with me. When asked, mother now says she doesn’t want to pay child support for the younger child. What options do I have to make this as fair as possible for my child? She is a full time employee of the USPS.

Asked on November 7, 2011 under Family Law, Alaska


M.T.G., Member, New York Bar / FreeAdvice Contributing Attorney

Answered 9 years ago | Contributor

This is going to be a very difficult endeavor since you now live out of the country with your child.  You list Alaska as your state here.  Is that your legal state of residence?  Then when you are on leave in Alaska and you are with your child you should make an application to modify the child support portion of the agreement and to ask for some mechanism for her employer or the state to pay you directly.  You need to bring any action involving a child in the state where the child resides.  That is how the court obtains jurisdiction - which is the right to make decisions - over the child. Please get some legal advice from an attorney at home.  And than you for your service to our country.  Good luck. 

IMPORTANT NOTICE: The Answer(s) provided above are for general information only. The attorney providing the answer was not serving as the attorney for the person submitting the question or in any attorney-client relationship with such person. Laws may vary from state to state, and sometimes change. Tiny variations in the facts, or a fact not set forth in a question, often can change a legal outcome or an attorney's conclusion. Although AttorneyPages.com has verified the attorney was admitted to practice law in at least one jurisdiction, he or she may not be authorized to practice law in the jurisdiction referred to in the question, nor is he or she necessarily experienced in the area of the law involved. Unlike the information in the Answer(s) above, upon which you should NOT rely, for personal advice you can rely upon we suggest you retain an attorney to represent you.